On Monday, May 16, Rehoboth Christian School organized an all- school color run to raise money for the Preparing the Way Capital Campaign for a new high school. The run was designed to be a fun-filled way to promote school community, physical activity, and raise funds for a great cause.
During the one-hour run students were showered with brightly-colored, powdered paint at various color stations located on the hiking trails behind Rehoboth’s campus. Rehoboth had a goal of raising $40,000 at this event from local business sponsorship and pledges raised by students. Each student was challenged to raise $85 from friends and family members. Prizes were given to the top three students from each school who raised the most money.
Following the run, Ken Zylstra, the Director of Advancement for the school announced that over $43,000 had been raised with roughly $26,000 from donations brought in by students and $17,000 from local business support and sponsorship.
Rehoboth Christian School is continuing to move forward with the goal of providing the best possible Christian education in Gallup and McKinley County. The Preparing the Way Campaign will help Rehoboth to build a new High School facility, and allow their excellent teaching staff to facilitate 21st century learning that will equip the next generation of community leaders.
The current Rehoboth Christian High School was built in 1949. Rehoboth have been raising funds for the new High School building for over two years. To date, over $11 million has been committed.
The Rehoboth Color Run fundraiser brought the current need to under $2.7 million to begin construction. The essential components of the new high school will include nine classroom, one academic support classrooms, two science labs, and a media lab. In the future we hope to add a choral center and art studio.
Please join Rehoboth in preparing the way for a future full of light, hope, and opportunity for our students!
More information on the Preparing the Way Capital Campaign can be found at: http://www.rcsnm.org/supporting-rcs/preparingtheway.cfm
Rehoboth, NM -- On Friday, April 15, Rehoboth Christian High School students will be participating in their third annual all-school service day. Organized by the Rehoboth’s National Honor Society members, this day is intended to be an opportunity for students to expand the scope of their education and to look for ways in which they can be a benefit to the community around them. All 181 high school students will engage in some form of service during the school day on Friday. Students will be working in small groups and will be led by teachers as well as members of the National Honor Society (NHS).
In addition to serving within their own school buildings and grounds, the students will be helping out at Red Rock Care Center, Community Pantry, McKinley Manor, Zuni Mission School, Hilltop Christian School, and Broken Arrow Bible Ranch.
In the past, serving in the community has been a wonderful way for Rehoboth Christian High School students to connect with institutions, build new relationships, and tangibly make a difference in Gallup and surrounding areas. The Rehoboth Christian School Chapter of the NHS is, and has been, committed to selecting a day out of the year to not only serve, but to give all High School students a chance to experience the blessing of lending a helping hand. “This year, it was my goal to give students experiences which will hopefully prepare them for helping others in the future, and get them even more excited about having generous attitudes,” said National Honor Society President Glenn Ratmeyer.
The students of NHS are striving to be an encouragement to their fellow students and community members through their positive attitudes.They want the greater community to see youths working together, serving, and making a difference. They hope their actions will spark some interest and ideas in other youth in the Gallup area.
For more information, please contact Chris VanSlooten at email@example.com or 505 .726.9632.
Rehoboth Yearbooks are on sale. Prices are $40 for hardcover plus shipping and only $25 for softcover plus shipping. To order a 2015-16 yearbook please visit www.rehobothyearbook.picaboo.com to place your order. Send questions and comments about ordering to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Don McGavran has been selected to serve as the Executive Director for Rehoboth Christian School, starting officially on August 1, 2016.
Dr. McGavran comes to Rehoboth with over 16 years of leadership experience in Christian mission schools. Dr. McGavran earned his doctorate degree in educational leadership from Columbia International University and holds a Master's degree in counseling.
Don, and his wife Vicki of 27 years, have served at Woodstock School in India for four years, Rosslyn Academy in Nairobi, Kenya for six years, and for the past 5 1/2 years at Mountainview Christian School in Indonesia. They are praising the Lord for His guiding them to Rehoboth Christian School where they look forward to being woven into the tapestry of Rehoboth’s rich history.
Don and Vicki have 3 children: Tyler works for Caterpillar, Brittany is a sophomore at Palm Beach Atlantic University, and Hunter is a senior in high school. Don enjoys swimming, cycling, and hiking. The staff at Rehoboth looks forward to the new leadership of Dr. McGavran as they continue carrying out the school’s 113 year old mission.
Rehoboth Christian School, PO Box 41 Rehoboth, NM 87322, Phone: 505-863-4412, www.rcsnm.org
By: Paul Bremer, Volunteer
Early Christian Reformed missionaries searched for a location for a mission in the southwest and in late 1902 found Smith’s Ranch about 6 miles east of Gallup. It included 320 acres, a house with 7 rooms, a well, windmill and a few out buildings. They named the place Rehoboth.
They added a dining room and kitchen to the Smith Ranch home and used its original rooms for housing mission workers and other activities. They called the building the Mission House. Fire was always a danger for buildings at the mission in its early years because water was scarce and the climate was dry. While baking bread, the heat of the oven caused a fire and within an hour the entire structure was destroyed in 1914. The mission realized that a new Mission House was needed.
John Spyker and his wife Jennie came to Rehoboth in 1912; he was a retired builder and supervised the building of the new Mission House in 1915. The cement blocks used were produced on site. The mission raised money, received some money from insurance for an earlier loss, and received a gift from a Gallup merchant to the build the new building.
The building consisted of a dining room that could accommodate 120 people and a kitchen for the school and hospital that was nearby. The second floor included 10 rooms and a bath. The Mission House served the needs of the campus and visitors who stopped to visit Rehoboth as they travelled to the west. The Rehoboth Archive has guest books signed by many of the visitors. The basement served as a commissary.
On three separate occasions the Mission House survived a fire. On December 31, 1931 at 4 am an overheated furnace chimney caused a fire. The temperature outside was 10 below zero. People remembered that Jacob Bosscher fought the fire in his pajamas.
During an evening worship service on Sunday March 22, 1936 lights went out on campus and someone said, “Fire in the Mission House.” The heavy snow, strong wind and darkness made the situation look serious. A short in an electrical circuit caused the fire. Some Native American boys helped fight the fire by hauling water in a hose cart. The commissary was damaged but the building survived.
On August 4, 1942 a fire in the Mission House destroyed a large supply of provisions. People in the building fled to the second story and went out on the roof of a side porch because the stairway and hall of the building were filled with smoke. They were stranded on the roof until Dora Hofstra brought a ladder that made it possible for them to escape.
People who planned and built the Mission House served the needs of their own time but also looked to the future when Rehoboth would grow and serve more people. Rehoboth now has a Fellowship Hall that offers food service and a dining hall. Today the Mission House contains the main choir room for the school, a piano/keyboard lab and a practice room. The second floor is still used to house some teachers, volunteers and visitors. The service of the building goes on as it enters its second century.